Gum Disease Treatment in Glendale Heights
Periodontal Work in Schaumburg & Glendale Heights
Gum disease (Periodontal disease) is the leading cause of tooth loss. If diagnosed at its earliest stages, gum disease can actually be reversed through treatment. In its later stages, treatment (scaling and root planing) can still work to stop the disease from progressing and prevent tooth loss.
Certain factors can increase a patient’s risk of developing periodontal disease, including:
- Smoking or using chewing tobacco
- Certain types of medication such as steroids, anti-epilepsy drugs, cancer therapy drugs, calcium channel blockers, and oral contraceptives
- Bridges that no longer fit properly
- Crooked teeth
- Old fillings
While it is possible to have periodontal disease and not know it, some symptoms can include:
- Gums that bleed easily
- Red, swollen, tender gums
- Gums that have pulled away from the teeth
- Persistent bad breath or bad taste
- Pus between your teeth and gums
- Permanent teeth that are loose or separating
- Any change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite
- Any change in the fit of partial dentures
Treating Gum Disease
Treatments for gum disease can vary depending on the severity of each individual case. Typical treatments include:
- Non-surgical treatments such as at-home periodontal trays, and scaling and root planing (deep cleaning)
- Periodontal surgery and laser gum surgery
- Dental implants
Preventing Gum Disease
Regular dental checkups and periodontal examinations are important for maintaining your health and the health of your smile. You don’t have to lose teeth to periodontal disease, and by practicing good oral hygiene at home, you can significantly reduce your chances of ever getting gum disease. Remember to brush regularly, clean between your teeth, eat a balanced diet, and schedule regular dental visits to help keep your smile healthy.
If you suspect that you may have gum disease (or if you experience bleeding gums while brushing and flossing), contact us to schedule a comprehensive or periodontal exam.
WHY CHOOSE US?
- Over 30 Years of Experience
- New Fastbraces™ Available
- We Use the Latest Technology
- Free Consultations
- 5 Star Reviews on Google